Wednesday 15 January 2020

Self-Introduction



Subject: Self-Introduction

Dear professor Blackstone, my name is Norman Tan one of your student in your effective communication class group 4. The purpose of this letter is to allow you to know me better. 

I graduated in 2017 from Singapore Polytechnic Diploma in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. During my national service, I had many thoughts on whether should, I carry on studying on Electrical and Electronics or Mechanical engineering. The reason I chose mechanical engineering is because after studying 3 years in Triple E, I realized have more passion in mechanical side of engineering than electronics engineering. During my interview I was told that my current program of studies will increase from 2 years to 3 years as they will be adding in a foundation year which is a plus to me because I do not possess any foundation on mechanical engineering hence it made up my mind to pursue my degree on mechanical engineering.

At the end of this program, I wish I could improve on my communication skills such as speaking, listening and especially writing. This program will definitely help me in my future interviews and writings.

My weakness is stuttering in my words, difficulty expressing my message and ideas to the audience during presentation, the lack of confidence in everything as I felt that whatever I do others will be laughing at me. 

However, there is a quote that kept me motivated. It’s a quote that my parents pasted on my wall since I was 5 and it has affected me deeply until today. “You are what you make yourself out to be. As parents, we will do our best to provide for you the best we can. Despite all that, you put no effort into your studies and subsequently do not make it in life, you have only YOURSELF to blame.” This source is my source of strength and power as it serves as a reminder. Thank you.

Best regards,
Norman Tan 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Norman! i am Sean from your blogging group! During your time in poly what sparked your passion in mechanical engineering?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sean, thanks for taking your time to read and comment on my introduction letter.

      The reason why i choose to further my studies on mechanical engineering is because since young I really enjoy how materials will affect a structure and the dynamics of a structure. However due to my poor results for my 'O' levels i was short of a few points to enter the mechanical engineering course. Luckily I was given a chance to study MEC in SIT-UOG.

      Once again thanks for the reply. Hope this will clear your doubts on why i chose to study in MEC in university. Thanks

      Best regards,
      Norman Tan

      Delete
  2. Hi Norman , this is Zhi Wei from the same class group 4.

    Do you have any future goals that you would like to achieve after you graduate in the futures ?

    Personally I enjoyed reading your introduction as it shows me that you are able to take a step forward and choose a course that is different from what you studied in polytechnic , choosing your own future path despite the difficulties that you might face due to the fundamental difference.

    Hope to have more communication with you in class and know you better

    Best regards
    Peh Zhi Wei

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Norman,

    Thank you for this open, informative letter. In it, you share about the genesis of your interest in engineering, quite a bit on the weakness in communication, and your goals for the module. I find the quote especially interesting, but I would like to know the extent to which that it has motivated you.

    Organization-wise, you address all the topics except your comm skills strength. I'm also not sure about the order of some of the info. The goals seem to be misplaced.

    There are also a few key issues in terms of language use in this letter:

    1. multiple issues in formatting, the use of caps, etc.
    -- Dear professor Blackstone, my name is Norman Tan one of your student in your effective communication class group 4. > (seriously?)
    -- in Triple E, > formal language?

    2. sentence structure
    -- I had many thoughts on whether should, I carry on studying on Electrical and Electronics or Mechanical engineering.
    > (word order) ?

    -- During my interview I was told that my current program of studies will increase from 2 years to 3 years as they will be adding in a foundation year which is a plus to me because I do not possess any foundation on mechanical engineering hence it made up my mind to pursue my degree on mechanical engineering.
    > (comma splice, lack of an appropriate comma, use of 'they')
    ?

    --- My weakness is stuttering in my words, difficulty expressing my message and ideas to the audience during presentation, the lack of confidence in everything as I felt that whatever I do others will be laughing at me.
    >
    My weakness is stuttering, difficulty expressing my message and ideas to an audience during a presentation, the lack of confidence in everything as I feel that whatever I do others might be laughing at me.

    3. verb tesne
    -- However, there is a quote that kept me motivated. >
    However, there is a quote that has kept (OR keeps) me motivated.

    -- At the end of this program, I wish I could improve on my communication skills ... > By the end of this program, I hope to improve on my communication skills ...

    I look forward to helping you refine your skills. Let's work on this.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Norman,

    you talk about you want to improve your speaking, writing and for your future interview. Do you have any past experiences that make you want to improve on them? If yes can you elaborate a little more so that we get to understand you even more? I really do enjoy reading your introduction and i know you will definitely reach your goal one day!

    best regards
    Ong Jun Kai

    ReplyDelete